Eyeglass Backup and Restore
This technical note provides the Eyeglass backup/restore process that can be used to move to a new appliance and restore license keys that were applied to the previous appliance.
Eyeglass Backup and Restore
Note: Eyeglass backup/restore process that can be used to move to a new appliance and restore license keys that were applied to the previous appliance. This is the only supported method to move to a new appliance. If a new appliance is deployed and the previous appliance was not backed up, then a support case must be opened to re-activate a transaction token to download new keys. A support case can be opened at Superna Support . This is a 9-5 EDT only response time and requires validation before authorization, if it cannot be authorized delays will be incurred while we validate the token and order. Customers should backup appliances before deleting them from vCenter!
To backup your Eyeglass appliance data, configuration and Licenses:
Login to the Eyeglass web page.
Open the About Eyeglass window.
Select the Backup menu.
4. In the Backup window select the Create New Restore Backup button. NOTE: Only Restore Backup should be used so that all private keys are restored for SSL. The Support backup does not include any private keys needed for SSL certificates.
5. While the Backup is in progress you will see the “Creating backup archive” message.
NOTE: New generate Backup logs and full backup in 1.6 > release now automatically creates screenshots and includes them in the zip file for support. This process can take upto 5 minutes to complete and can be monitored from the running Jobs window.
6. Once completed you will see the archive in the list.
7. Select the download link to download the archive to your local computer.
8. Store the archive in a secure location.
Eyeglass version at the time the backup was taken must match the Eyeglass version to which the backup is being restored
There will be an Eyeglass service interruption while the restore is in progress
To restore Eyeglass data and configuration from an Eyeglass Restore Backup Archive file:
- Take an Eyeglass full backup from your old Eyeglass appliance.
- Download the full backup locally and then copy the zip file backup using scp or winscp to the newly deployed Eyeglass Appliance. It could be place in /tmp for example.
- Power off the old Eyeglass appliance. It is not supported to have multiple Eyeglass appliances managing the same clusters.
- SSH to new Eyeglass appliance and login as admin (default password 3y3gl4ss). Issue “sudo su -” to enter in root mode (default password 3y3gl4ss).
- From the command line execute the command
- igls app restore /tmp/<eyeglass_backup.xxxx.zip> --anyrelease
- Replacing /tmp/<eyeglass_backup.xxxx.zip> with the name of the Eyeglass Archive file always including full path.
- You will be prompted to continue. Enter “y” to continue.
- For example:
# igls app restore /tmp/eyeglass_backup_17-07-05_20-42-08.zip --anyrelease
Do you want to revert to the archive at /tmp/eyeglass_backup_17-07-05_20-42-08.zip? [y/N]: y
- Login to the new Eyeglass appliance and check if:
- Licences have been added.
- Clusters have been added.
NOTE: If your cluster is running original 7.2.x.x, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11 the TLS security protocols allowed weaker security algorithms and key sizes. Eyeglass 1.9 OVF and later has hardened security settings. In this case you may need to edit file below in order for clusters to be added
and comment out the line “jdk.tls.disabledAlgorithms=MD5, SHA1, DSA, RSA keySize < 2048, SSLv2Hello, SSLv3, TLSv1, TLSv1.1”
- After editing this file an Eyeglass sca service restart is required
systemctl restart sca
- Failover and Failback History preserved.
- If Eyeglass version above 1.8.0 the ability to restore jobs to previous state was introduced. DFS settings should be enabled and job state should be set to previous values (enabled or disabled).
Copyright Superna LLC